Tuesday 8 October 2013

A Belated update --- and it's not about quilting.

On the weekend my son turned 5, I am trying to adjust to this fact as it seems only yesterday I just met him in the delivery room! In some respect time flies when you have kids, 5 years seems like a blink of an eye and I was organising his Big 5 birthday party already!

Dinosaur bunting - idea from Just Me Prints

Birthday wreath


So instead of sewing I have been busy planning and preparing for his birthday party. It's dinosaur themed and I had a blast doing some paper and baking creations. 

Dinosaur bone digging site cake - idea from Donna Hay Kids' Magazine (Annual 9, 2012)

Oreo cupcake - cake topper from 

Fossil Cookies - Martha Stewart

Chocolate rock and dino rock - both from The Chocolate Box
The nest is made out of brown paper bag - ideas from Family Chic


Swamp Jelly with fish, turtle or frog gummy
Ocean Jelly with octopus and shark gummy

Dino sandwiches using DynoBytes Sandwich cutter

Hazelnut fingers with nutella filling

I stumbled across the Lemon Meringue Pie Fudge from a blog called Crazy for Crust, which is dedicated to desserts of all kinds. I would say her desserts are not the typical ones we eat in Australia and I am just curious what it would taste like. Hence I decided to make it for the party because I can make it 2 days ahead (as it being fudge it could stay fresh longer) and I happened to have a jar of marshmallow fluff at home!

I have never made fudge before and I am rather surprised how easy it was to make the Lemon Meringue Pie Fudge! The lemon flavour also cuts down the sweetness of the fudge and gave it a real nice balance. It is great for parties as you can only eat a few at a time. I would love to try her other recipes next time.

Lemon Meringue Pie Fudge - recipe from Crazy for Crust

I am very thankful of the modern age where we are linked by the touch of key strokes. Be it cooking, quilting or paper craft, internet have connected and shared people's talents/ideas across the globe and made planning a birthday party with so many fun and creative ideas. Simply wonderful!   





No comments:

Post a Comment