Sunday 1 May 2016

Fancy Folded Star Pot Holder Revisited










A few years ago I saw this potholder tutorial on Moda Bake Shop and I gave it a go. I was experimenting with different shapes and this is my square version. You can read my previous post here and here.       

I want to experiment this potholder a bit more, and I thought it will also be a great housewarming gift for my colleague. The potholder on the left is the same as what I have made before. Using only solids and 4 colorways, where each color is folded twice consecutively. Using only solids are great the shape of the star is sharp and you can see each layer clearly.  


















This potholder on the left is my favorite and it was fun auditioning different color fabrics in my stash! I would not recommend using your scrap fabrics for this project, as it does require about half of a fat quarter to make up one layer of the star. Therefore to make 2 layers using the same fabric will require 1 fat quarter, and possibly more if you need to cut the fabric in certain direction.  

It is made using 8 colorways, going from lighter colors to the dark orange. The last layer (which is grey in this instance) should always be the background fabric that intended to frame the star.








Next potholder I experiment with print fabrics. I did add a few layers of solids as I find it too busy using all prints. For the last 2 layers I chose solids so the outline of the star is more defined and your eyes are not distracted from the busy background print.

In the first (or the center) layer I also tried alternate the white and hot pink solid to see what it will be like when I folded the fabric. It looked like arrows or hearts and I think it worked well here. 

I would definitely experiment the alternating colorways more in depth next time. I am curious what it will look like if I lay it out for the rest of the other 6 layers!   








For this potholder I chosen my colleague's favorite color purple, coordinate with a layer of yellow and grey fabric. What I really wanted to tried here is to experiment with strip fabric for this project. I intentionally cut the fabric so the strip is shown vertically.    

I have to say the best part about this project is finding out what it will actually look like but only at the end. Especially when solids mixes with different print fabric it's hard to envision what the end product will look like. I have played with different orientation and the layering sequence of the fabrics for hours and it was so much fun. It is very additive! 












I have already given the above set for my colleague and she really liked it. Positive response is always welcome and it definitely puts a smile on my face. I have also made her a new apron using my cherry blossom print, and she liked that too. Yay!






Thank you for reading,
Erica.

No comments:

Post a Comment