Monday 19 August 2013

Simply Retro: Vintage

This is my second quilt from Camille Roskelley's book Simply Retro. It's the biggest block I have tried so far, measures 19 3/4 inches square. It has the potential to showcase large prints but I have decided to try the low volume approach. I have been doing lots of bright colored, children's quilt and this is a nice change for me. Something for adult, something pink, which is a color I do usually work with.



My challenge for this quilt is the quilting. This time I know exactly what I want, which is all-over large scallop pattern. I tried the clover pencil but it's too hard to see the lines so I had to come up with another idea as I want to quilt them perfectly (meaning consistently and with straight stitching). 

I thought I will recycle my self-adhesive vinyl that I used to wrap up text book as a template and stick them directly on the fabric as a guide. It sounded brilliant in my head except it didn't stick well on fabric! I had to pin it down and it was still fiddly, but I am happy with the end result --- and that is all that matters! 






No comments:

Post a Comment